Longest day of my life. We met up at the Salt Lake City
around 9 and our flight was supposed to leave at 11:15 a.m., however due to a
medical issue, we didn’t actually take off until after 12:30 p.m. We were all
split up around the plane and I sat by the nicest lady ever. She was traveling
home to New York and we talked all about my trip to Jerusalem and what she was
doing in Salt Lake. It was really fun to get to know her! When we finally
reached New York she handed me a small case and told me to have fun in
Jerusalem and buy something fun. She gave me forty dollars and hand sanitizer!
I couldn’t believe it. We didn’t ever exchange names and I really wish that we
had because I want to thank her, but it was really cool.
Once at JFK all 80 of us met up at our next gate and then
took turns getting food and using the restroom. We had to go through another
security check and then we boarded. I sat clear in the back next to a guy that
basically took up both seats because he was all sprawled out. So needless to
say of the entire 9 hour and 45 minute flight, I barely slept. It. Was. Awful. But one cool thing was that all the airplane announcements were said in English and Hebrew. Hopefully on my flight home I will be able to understand them! Finally at about two o’clock in the afternoon Jerusalem time, we arrived in Tel
Aviv. Going through the passport check was simple. The professors had
instructed us to never say that we were students because by Israeli law, we
technically aren’t, and if we said it than we wouldn’t be able to pass without
some form. So we all said, if asked what we were doing here, “I am
participating in a program at the Mormon University”. Nothing serious happened
to me though. Same with going through customs, I seriously just walked through
the door, and there where our professor’s and their wives holding BYU signs. It
was really exciting to see them. We then loaded buses and headed up to
Jerusalem. We were told we could not fall asleep, which was really hard for me
because I had a super bad headache and was exhausted. But, I made it.
The Jerusalem Center is gorgeous! The city is amazing and is
literally right outside my window. We went through a few more orientation
meetings, had a tour, ate dinner, meet some of the professors and their
families, and then finally we were allowed to find our rooms and unpack around
9 p.m. Long day.
I have three roommates, Julie, MJ (Melissa Jo), and Becca.
They are all super sweet and we are getting along great.
I felt like I was doing so good at meeting everyone, but
every time I turn a corner there is a new face that I haven’t seen. We are
constantly introducing ourselves, telling where we are from (which is an
interesting question for me to answer), what school we go to, and our major.
Those are the basic questions everyone asks. Everyone is so amazing though. The
staff was so excited to see us. The shock of being in this holy city hasn't really hit me yet.
We are going on a tour of the city tomorrow!!!
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing! I love that you're blogging about your experiences!
Oh thank you for writing! I love reading about you adventures. i don't know how you stayed awake. And what a rude man. Wow. But.... What a nice lady. We watched a YouTube video of the center yesterday so we could see just where you were. Gorgeous. Have super fun today!
Glad you made it safely and were able to stay awake!
Post a Comment